There are currently two quarries on Livingston Mountain that have been physically combined but are owned separately:
The first mine on Livingston Mountain was very small and was created in the early 1940's, probably for personal or local use. The mine fell into disuse until 1973 when it was reopened, from 1973 till 1990 the mine was used infrequently and a total of 196,000 tons were extracted. Residents living near the mine lived peacefully with no impacts, in fact local resident Bill Catrell who has lived on the mountain for 38 years stated that when he arrived "the sign that announced the pit was bigger than the pit itself"
The orange dot indicates the location of the original mine.
Livingston Mountain Quarry is indicated within the orange outline was originally owned by Clark County. The County sold this plot at public auction in 1995 for just $330,000 (there was no active mine there at the time). In 2009 the same piece of land was sold to Tower Rock for $2.500,000.
Livingston Quarry indicated to the lower left in green within the orange outline. In 2007 Clark County entered into a 20 year lease agreement with the Department of Natural Resources to lease 170 aces including Livingston Quarry for $50,000 per year, for the past eight years revenues from the mine have not covered the leasing costs for the county. Clark county agrees to pay DNR a royalty of $1.25/ton typical rates are $0.30-0.40/ton. Only 70 of the 170 acres are covered by the existing surface mining overlay. Clark County applied for the overlay to be expanded over the additional 100 acres in 2008 in a type III process. Clark County was denied the expantion of the overlay in 2009.
Below is the Timeline that starts in 1995 when the both quarry's were dormant to today:
Click to set custom HTML